What Research Says About Acidic Foods
One-third of 700 dentists surveyed by the Academy of General Dentistry say that acidic foods and beverages are the single most prevalent contributors to sensitive teeth, followed by the technique in which people brush their teeth.(1)
How can you better recognize and understand acidic foods and learn how to keep your body’s pH levels neutral? You can ask your doctor, consult with a dietician, or do a bit of homework on your own. It’s easy to find research on acidic foods, alkaline foods and the pH levels of food in literature or on the internet. If you're concerned about tooth sensitivity, avoid eating acidic foods as much as possible. Here is a list of acidic foods and their general level of acidity.
Moderately Acidic Foods
- Most Grains
- Plums, prunes and cranberries
Highly Acidic Foods
- Sport Drinks
- Orange Juice
- Yogurt/Sour Cream
- Sodas (e.g. cola beverages)
- Most fermented foods and aged cheeses
- Pickled Products
Enjoying Acidic Foods
Acidic foods can certainly be enjoyed in moderation. If you prefer a diet high in acidic foods, but are experiencing significant tooth sensitivity, there are many steps you can take to reduce your tooth discomfort.
According to The Academy of General Dentistry, the simplest way to alleviate sensitive teeth from acidic foods is to use desensitizing toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Crest offers a full regimen of products designed to help reduce tooth sensitivity that can come from eating acidic foods. All Crest Pro-Health toothpastes are triclosan free.
The Crest Pro-Health Sensitive Shield Regimen includes the following products which may help you to continue indulging in your favorite acidic foods.
- Crest Pro-Health Sensitive Shield Toothpaste: This toothpaste contains an active ingredient called stannous fluoride, which helps protect teeth from painful tooth sensitivity so you can enjoy the foods you love in comfort.
- Crest Glide Pro-Health Floss for Sensitive Gums: This extra-soft floss is designed to make flossing more comfortable for sensitive gums.
- Oral-B Cross Action Gentle Clean Toothbrush: Uniquely-designed, this toothbrush is gentle on gums and features extra-soft Criss-Cross bristles.