While brushing teeth with braces may be a bit challenging it’s even more important for people with braces to brush properly. That’s because food particles can easily get caught in your braces, which can lead to harmful plaque bacteria that can cause gum disease. Effectively brushing teeth with braces is very important for your long-term oral health.
Helpful Hints for Brushing Teeth with Braces
- Ask your dental professional for a brush that's specifically designed for brushing teeth with braces. These brushes are made to reach in between all brackets and hardware. (1)
- Brushing teeth with braces takes a bit longer than it does without braces. Brush from top to bottom and in between all braces. Take your time to ensure you keep your teeth healthy and protected while you wear braces.
- Brush more often, including after every snack or meal.
- Use an anti plaque/gingivitis mouth rinse to help remove food particles that linger in places your toothbrush can’t reach, as well as to prevent new plaque from forming.
- Ask your dental professional if they have any recommendations for brushing teeth with braces. They can show you the best techniques and ensure you know the best approach.
Once again, effectively brushing teeth with braces can help keep your teeth and mouth healthy. When your braces come off, you’ll be thrilled with your healthy teeth and bright, beautiful smile.