While there are numerous steps to a comprehensive oral hygiene regimen, one of the most important steps is to floss daily. Those who floss daily tend to experience fewer cavities, plus flossing fights plaque and tartar build-up between teeth.It’s important to take care when flossing to ensure you are doing it correctly. Follow these steps to learn the right way to floss:
- Start by using a high-quality dental floss that's approved by the American Dental Association (ADA). There are plenty of varieties out there, made of different materials and flavored wax. Finding one that works well for you makes it easy to floss daily.
- To get started, take approximately 18 inches of dental floss and wind it around your two middle fingers. Now, you're ready to get started.
- Gently move the floss in between your teeth, from the bottom all the way up to the gum line. Slide the floss all the way around the curve of each tooth to clean the entire surface of all of your teeth.
- Slide the floss up and down in between all of your teeth in order to remove food particles lodged in between your teeth.
- Every time you switch teeth, use a new and clean section of the dental floss. Otherwise, you may risk moving bacteria from one tooth to the next.
Floss Daily: Tips to Help You Remember
If you aren’t used to using dental floss daily, it can be challenging to turn this into a habit. Here are some tips to help you remember to floss daily:
- Keep a sticky note on your bathroom mirror that says, “Don’t forget to floss daily!”
- Keep dental floss in numerous locations, such as your purse, your car, and in your desk drawer at work. That way, you can floss daily whenever you remember, wherever you are.
- Ask your family members to remind you to floss daily.
Floss Daily: The Benefits
The benefits you’ll enjoy once you start to floss daily will be well worth your effort. Here are just a few of the many benefits you’ll experience from remembering to floss daily:
- Healthy Teeth: Reduce your risk for gum disease and tooth decay by flossing regularly as part of a complete oral care plan.
- White Smile: By taking the time to floss daily, you will be removing food particles from between your teeth that can cause stain and tartar-build up between teeth.
- Fresh Breath: Flossing also helps remove food particles in your mouth that can lead to bad breath. When you floss daily, you will notice you probably have fresh breath.
Proper flossing is easy and offers many benefits. Take the time to floss daily, and your teeth and smile will reap the rewards.