What Is Plaque?
Plaque is an extremely sticky, colorless to pale yellow deposit of biofilm that regularly forms on your teeth.
When saliva, food, and fluids combine they produce bacteria deposits, which collect where the teeth and gums meet.
Plaque contains bacteria, which produce acids that attack your tooth enamel and can damage your gums. If not treated, the damage could become permanent. When plaque accumulates and is not removed, it can mineralize, trapping stains and turning into tartar. Plaque is the root cause of many oral health issues. The most effective way to get ride of plaque is by using an electric toothbrush.
What Is Tartar?
Tartar is a yellow or brown colored deposit that forms when plaque mineralizes on your teeth. Susceptibility to tartar buildup varies greatly depending on the individual person. Generally, as people age, they become more prone to having tartar form on their teeth.
Tartar buildup bonds strongly to enamel and can only be removed by a dental professional. If you start seeing any signs of plaque or tartar buildup, be sure to seek treatment immediately.
Crest’s Tartar Protection Mouthwash received top product ranking for it’s ability to help prevent tartar build-up and tooth cavities while freshening breath.
Treatment and Prevention of Plaque and Tartar
Plaque buildup can lead to gingivitis and gum disease so it is important to take steps for treatment and prevention.
1. See your dental professional every 6 months for a thorough cleaning.
2. Brush with an anti-bacterial fluoride toothpaste like Crest Pro-Health. All Crest Pro-Health toothpastes are specifically formulated to fight bacteria that develops in your mouth.
3. Floss at least once a day to remove food particles and plaque between teeth.
4. Use a quality toothbrush and remember to replace it every three months.
5. Add a mouth rinse to your routine, such as Crest Pro-Health Multi-Protection Rinse, to help protect against the buildup of plaque and prevent gingivitis.
6. Eating well-balanced meals and brushing after snacks will help to reduce the formation of plaque.
We recommend using Crest Pro-Health Advanced Toothpaste when treating plaque and tartar.
When it comes to plaque and tartar, a healthier mouth starts with good brushing habits.