It could happen to anyone—you are away on vacation or a business trip and notice that familiar ache in your mouth that you're fairly certain is caused by cavity pain. Tooth decay can hit anytime, and not only does it cause pain, but it can lead to infection and tooth loss. (1)
With your dentist hundreds of miles away and your trip wrapping up, you need a quick fix to help you control your cavity pain until you can make it home. Consider these tips to help you manage that frustrating cavity pain.
Tips for Managing Cavity Pain
- Avoid sugary foods and extremely hot or cold foods and beverages that can aggravate cavity pain.
- Brush your teeth carefully. While it may cause more pain at first, it’s important to keep food particles out of your teeth as they could cause further damage.
- Eat soft foods such as yogurt, mashed potatoes, cold soups, salsa and other things that don’t require much chewing to prevent pain.
- Use an oral rinse after eating to help remove food particles. Crest Pro-Health Enamel Shield Rinse will not only remove food and freshen your breath, but it can help strengthen teeth by rebuilding enamel.
- Call your dentist. Even while you’re away, your dentist may recommend you take a simple over-the-counter pain-relieving agent to help manage the cavity pain until you get home. Plus, if you call while you’re away, you can make an appointment to see the dentist as soon as you return home.