So why is plaque a problem? If you don’t take the steps needed to prevent and get rid of plaque, it may lead to:
- Cavities: the acids produced by the bacteria in plaque can cause low pH level and can eat away at your tooth enamel.
- Gingivitis: Accumulation of plaque bacteria can cause inflammation of the gums.
- Bad Breath: Plaque buildup from poor dental hygiene can also cause your breath to smell bad.
4 steps to removing plaque
Fortunately, it’s relatively easy to avoid sticky plaque on your teeth if you follow a good oral hygiene routine. Here’s how:
- Brush your teeth even better: An electric toothbrush is one of the most effective ways to get rid of plaque. Be sure to brush for at least 2 minutes, twice a day, every day. Remember to replace the brush head of your electric toothbrush every 3 months
- Don’t skip the floss: It’s easy for food to get stuck in your teeth, and if you don’t floss daily, bacteria can develop, and you’ve got plaque. Brushing alone can’t cover every space in your mouth, so learn how to floss properly.
- Use an anti-plaque toothpaste. Anti-plaque fluoride toothpastes are great way to up the ante in your fight against plaque.
- Rinse with a mouthwash that helps fight plaque. It helps kill bacteria and prevents plaque regrowth.
Great products in the fight against plaque
Try Crest® PRO-HEALTH Advanced Toothpaste and Crest® PRO-HEALTH Multi-Protection Mouthwash for top recommended products and great additions to your oral health routine.