How to Choose the Best Teeth Whitening Product for You
Identifying the Best Teeth Whitening Products Our Best Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening Solutions Comparing Home Teeth Whitening Products What are the Best At-Home Whitening Products for Your Teeth?
If you've been to your local drug store lately and walked around the health and beauty section, chances are you've seen the many at-home options available. To find the best at-home teeth whitener for you, it’s good to have an idea of the different options you’ll come across to better brighten up your smile while also protecting your teeth and gums.
Identifying the Best Teeth Whitening Products
With so many options available on the market, it can be a bit challenging to make a purchase decision. While all teeth whitening products and formulas are different, there are a few common traits you’ll find depending on the type of whitening solution you’re most interested in.
Professional Tooth Whitening Kits
Standard professional whitening kits typically include two trays designed to mold and fit nicely over your teeth. These tooth-whitening kits also come with several syringes or tubes of professional-strength bleaching gel and a storage case for the trays. Oftentimes these trays can be a bit messy and cumbersome to apply. For a non-messy tooth whitening alternative, consider the following options from Crest.
Our Best Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening Solutions
- Crest 3DWhitestrips: These are some of the simplest tooth-whitening products—they come with whitening strips and instructions. The strength and number of teeth whitening strips will vary, but the package will come with enough to cover the top and bottom teeth for your daily applications.
- Crest Whitening Emulsions: Crest Whitening Emulsions: From application in seconds to the ability to whiten from anywhere, at any time, Crest Whitening Emulsions whitens with virtually no sensitivity, and with the freedom to apply multiple times a day, can deliver noticeable results, fast.
- Crest 3D White Toothpaste: Each formula is designed to whiten, brighten, and protect. Plus, it’s easy to incorporate a whitening toothpaste into your daily oral care routine. Pair it with an electric toothbrush like the Oral-B iO Series 9 which features a whitening mode that gently polishes away surface stains for a healthy, brighter smile.
- Crest 3D White Mouthwash: Swish your way to a brighter smile with a rinse that’s specifically formulated to not just freshen breath but also remove surface stains and prevent future stains from setting in.
Comparing Home Teeth Whitening Products
When choosing tooth whitening products, you’ll find a wide variety of options all based on the current condition of your teeth, your oral health history, and your oral care priorities. However, because there are many different variations, you may want to consider these tips when evaluating tooth whitening products.
- Products vary based on their strength: Hydrogen Peroxide is a popular ingredient in whitening solutions. If noted on the package, you can compare the amount of peroxide among several home tooth whitening products. As a general rule, products with higher levels of hydrogen peroxide tend to work more quickly and effectively but may also cause greater tooth sensitivity. However, most products do not disclose hydrogen peroxide levels. If your goal is professional-level whitening, try Crest 3D White Whitestrips Professional Effects. These teeth whitening strips are formulated with the same enamel-safe ingredients that dental professionals use and remove over 10 years of teeth stains. To whiten teeth, apply once a day for 30 minutes for 20 days, with results lasting up to 12 months.
- Take note of the daily application time: When evaluating home tooth-whitening products, pay close attention to their daily application time. Whether you have five minutes or five hours a day to commit to whitening, there are several options available to meet your needs. If you're a busy bee and want to whiten teeth on-the-go, try Crest Whitening Emulsions with Built-in Applicator. The convenient size allows you to easily apply on-the-go wherever, whenever. Plus, unique formula features highly active peroxide droplets suspended in a water-resistant base which whitens teeth with virtually no sensitivity.
- Commitment Level: Before evaluating any possibilities and options, consider how committed you are to whitening and keep this in mind. Some teeth whitening options require a steadfast commitment for weeks, while other products show results in just a few days. If you can’t commit to a full program, you may want to consider using a powerful toothbrush such as the Oral-B iO Series 9 combined with a whitening toothpaste such as Crest 3D White Professional Ultra White Toothpaste. The formula is composed of clinically proven whitening ingredients that help you bring your brightest smile forward. This approach will allow you to whiten at your convenience as part of your routine.
- Consider your dental history: Home tooth-whitening products won't work on caps, crowns, veneers, partials, fillings, laminates, or other similar dental work. Think about whether or not any color differences would be noticeable before using home tooth-whitening solutions.
- Know Your Price Range: If you're a no-nonsense type who doesn't want to break the bank, your best bet is a traditional teeth whitening strip, such as Crest 3D White Classic Vivid Whitestrips. These whitening strips typically require one 30-minute application per day and your teeth will be noticeably whiter in two weeks. Let’s face it, times are tough, and expensive teeth whitening strips may not be your top priority. Fortunately, numerous products and options are very cost-effective and can provide a brighter smile for less. Crest Whitening Emulsions is also a great go-to option when you’re whitening on a budget. You can also amp up your whitening arsenal by simply switching your normal toothpaste and rinse to whitening versions—you buy toothpaste and rinse as a part of a good oral hygiene routine anyway.
- Choose a Trusted Brand: When you walk down the whitening aisle, keep in mind that many of the brands you know and trust for your regular oral hygiene needs may offer at-home whitening solutions. Going with one of these well-known brands can offer a sense of confidence and assurance that your product is likely the best at-home teeth whitener. Be sure to look for enamel-safe products, most Crest whitening options are ADA-approved and deliver fast whitening results while keeping your smile healthy.
- Talk with your dentist: As with any medical decision, it's best to consult with a professional before making a whitening decision. A professional opinion can help guide your teeth whitening selection and simplify the decision-making process. Dental professionals are a great source of valuable advice and feedback and may have an opinion on the best at-home teeth whitener, whether it's a whitening gel, toothpaste, rinse, or pen.
Wouldn’t it be nice to have a brighter, whiter smile without having to review the dozens of tooth whitening options that are available out there? If you don’t have time to review or try hundreds of products, start first by exploring your available options.
What are the Best At-Home Whitening Options for Your Teeth?
Review the following teeth condition descriptions to help you select the best whitening product for you.
- Sensitive Teeth: If your natural teeth are sensitive to whitening, you may want to look for mild dental whitening products that offer a more gradual whitening effect like Crest 3D Whitestrips Gentle Teeth Whitening Kit. These whitening strips are typically used for 30 minutes a day regularly and are less painful for teeth sensitive to whitening. Another option is Crest Whitening Emulsions, the breakthrough formula guarantees a brighter smile with virtually no sensitivity and can be applied in just seconds.
- Relatively White but Need Maintenance: If your teeth are either relatively white or mildly stained, you can easily go with a basic whitening strip regimen. These dental whitening strips typically require one thirty-minute application per day and offer full results in just weeks.
- Tartar Build-up and Mild Stains: If your dentist says you have tartar buildup that you want to reduce while also whitening your smile, there are Crest whitening products that not only protect your teeth against tartar buildup but also provide gentle whitening to brighten your smile.
- Heavily Stained: If your teeth are heavily stained from tobacco, coffee, tea, soda, or other foods and beverages, your best bet is to search for whitening solutions that offer the greatest results. The most advanced whitening products offer professional-level whitening at home—and provide a whiter, brighter smile that lasts. You can boost your whitening results with the Crest LED Accelerator Light which rapidly breaks down stains for an even brighter smile, fast.
What to Look for In Teeth Whitening Products
Once you’ve found some teeth whitening systems you like, there are a couple of things to keep in mind when reviewing the most effective options out there.
- Fastest Whitening: How Long Will It Take To Get Noticeable Results?
Even among the best whitening methods, the number of days it takes to see noticeable results varies greatly. Some take as few as three days, while others take up to a week. The time it takes to get full results when using effective whitening systems ranges anywhere from a week to a month. If you’re looking for fast results for a last-minute event, try Crest Whitening Emulsions with the LED Light. The unique formula is enamel-safe for up to 4 uses daily and stays on teeth longer* to continue whitening long after you apply with no need to rinse, brush, or remove.
- How Long Will My Teeth Stay White?
Most manufacturers say the duration of results varies depending on your use of teeth-discoloring beverages like coffee, tobacco, soda, etc. However, advanced products have been proven to provide whitening that lasts up to twelve months.
- How Long Do I Have to Wear the Teeth Whitening Strips Every Day?
When reviewing good whitening methods, you'll find that daily application time also varies greatly. Some whitening strips require 30 minutes once a day while others require 45 or 60 minutes once a day. The longer the wear time, the better the whitening results. With Crest Whitening Emulsions, while it is recommended to avoid eating, drinking, or chewing gum for 30 minutes, there is no strip to wear, so just apply and go!
- Will The Whitening Strips Form-Fit to My Teeth?
Most whitening strips don't mold to your teeth but stick nicely to the surface of your teeth. There are advanced products that will gently mold to your teeth, such as Crest 3D White Professional Effects, allowing you greater flexibility and the opportunity to drink water, talk on the phone and go about your day.
Regardless of which tooth-bleaching products you choose, all tooth-whitening solutions are likely to offer you a brighter, whiter smile that will give you a nice boost in self-confidence. The bottom line is that the most effective teeth whitening product will differ from person to person. Your best bet is to talk with your dental professional about your whitening goals and oral health history to determine which teeth-whitening product is best for you.
From Crest, the #1 whitening brand** in America.
*vs. ARC pen whitening
**P&G calculation based on U.S. reported sales data for yr. ending w/o 6/11/22
Which Product is Right For You?
Be the first to receive tips tailored to your oral care needs, get access to exclusive deals, and more!
Discover MoreCrest Whitestrips Instructions: Safe & Easy Teeth Whitening