Teeth whitening occurs in two ways—the first is by acting on tooth stains on the outer layer of the tooth and below the enamel surface, and the second is by preventing the generation of new stains. It is achieved via stain removal, stain bleaching, and stain protection. Here are some ways to whiten teeth and details about their differences:
- In Office or Professional Whitening: In office whitening, such as laser whitening, is the fastest option for whitening, but also can be the most expensive. You can see results right away (treatments typically take one hour in an office), but it can easily cost up to $500 and results don't last forever. In-office whitening removes stains both on and below the enamel surface. If you require follow-up treatments, you could pay quite a bit in the long run. You may also experience teeth sensitivity due to the whitening treatments and therefore this may not be the best option for you.
Maybe you’ve thought about teeth whitening, but aren’t sure which options are right for you. Whatever your reasons for wanting to whiten your teeth, there are many choices to consider. Crest offers a range of whitening products from toothpastes to mouthwashes to whitening strips to give you the whiter teeth you’re after.
Whitening Strips Teeth whitening strips are a great way to whiten teeth both on and below the enamel surface. Crest Whitestrips use the same enamel-safe ingredient dental professionals use, so you get great results and whiter teeth easily, at home. There are several Crest Whitestrips teeth whitening systems to choose from:
- Crest® 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips, best for professional-level whitening as they remove 14 years of stains. Whitestrips are effective, easy to use and formulated with the enamel-safe teeth whitening agent dental professionals use.
- Crest 3D White Glamorous White Whitestrips are best for whitening on the go. They stay on so securely, you can do just about anything while you whiten. You can even drink water!
- Crest 3D White Supreme FlexFit Whitestrips can offer results as good as professional laser treatment that can cost up around $500 and are around found in your local drug store or grocery store. You can start seeing results from these Whitestrips in just a few days.
- Crest 3D White Whitestrips Gentle Routine are great for teeth sensitive to whitening. They offer 30-minute, once-a-day convenience.
Best of all, every Crest Whitestrips teeth whitening system provides you with a brighter, more beautiful smile––guaranteed.
Whitening Gels and Trays
Whitening gels and trays can be messy and vary in results.
Whitening toothpastes are a cost-effective way to whiten teeth and fit in with your daily oral care routine. Whitening toothpastes contain silica, which helps remove surface stains. A great option is Crest 3D White Brilliance Toothpaste, which uses micro cleansing teeth whiteners to polish away surface stains and is enamel safe. Another option is Crest 3D White Brilliance Daily Cleansing & Whitening System, a 2-step system that can keep teeth 99% as white as a professional polish.*
Like whitening toothpastes, whitening mouthwashes are an inexpensive way to help whiten your teeth by removing surface stains. There are added benefits of using a whitening mouthwash including getting fresh breath and killing germs. All Crest 3D White mouthwashes can give a whiter smile, by removing surface stains, in just 7 days. Crest 3D White Diamond Strong Mouthwash whitens by removing surface stains, while helping strengthen weakened tooth enamel and killing bad breath germs.
For quick teeth whitening, select a brush that's designed to whiten such as Oral-B White Luxe Pulsar Manual toothbrush. Note that you should change your toothbrush every three to four months to get the best white smile.
Head to a local retailer to find a wide range of teeth whitening products. Here are some great methods of teeth whitening that are simple and won’t break the bank:
- Brush More Often. One of the best methods of teeth whitening is brushing your teeth. Simply brushing after you eat any meal or snack helps remove additional plaque and food particles, which can help brighten your smile. Bring an extra toothbrush to work and make brushing after meals a part of your routine.
- Floss Diligently. Using dental floss helps prevent stains in between teeth. Flossing removes particles from between your teeth that can cause tartar build-up and unsightly stains.
- Combine products. The best quick teeth whitening method is to combine several important whitening techniques and oral hygiene methods into a comprehensive whitening regimen. By combining whitening products and excellent oral hygiene, you’ll find quick teeth whitening is easier than you’d expect.
Teeth whitening results can vary greatly depending on the products you use and the condition of your teeth. That’s why it’s a good idea to think about your ideal teeth whitening results before starting a teeth whitening regimen.
Start by determining your whitening goals. How do your teeth look now? What do you want them to look like after whitening? These are important considerations when seeking the best teeth whitening results.
- Subtle Whitening: If you just need a smile spruce-up, consider a basic whitening program that's designed to provide subtle, gradual whitening. You may want to use whitening toothpastes and rinses or whitening strips to achieve your best teeth whitening results.
- Dramatic Whitening: If your teeth are significantly discolored, you want a whitening program that can provide noticeable, dramatic teeth whitening results. There are products available that provide professional-level results, with visible results that last an entire year.
- Sensitive Teeth Whitening: If you have teeth sensitive to whitening, achieving a brighter smile without side effects is probably your most important consideration. Fortunately, there are many products that provide exceptional teeth whitening results without causing pain for those with teeth sensitive to whitening. Crest 3D White Whitestrips Gentle Routine provide subtle whitening by using the same ingredients dentists use in a less concentrated formula. This product is ideal for people with teeth sensitive to whitening and it only takes five minutes, once a day to achieve a brighter smile.
How Does Teeth Whitening Work
Teeth stains occur when staining agents in food, drink, or tobacco smoke work their way through the porous tooth enamel over time, forming stains that can't be erased by brushing alone. Teeth whitening kits contain chemicals that penetrate the stains without damaging the structure of the tooth, although some people do report temporary tooth sensitivity while using teeth whitening kits.
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last?
Teeth whitening duration varies depending on how the teeth are whitened. Results of tooth bleaching products can vary depending on form and duration of use. Regular use of whitening toothpaste and mouthwash is recommended for best results.
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
All Crest products are formulated to be safe. Following instructions is important for not only safety but for the best results. Proper use is essential to safely using teeth whitening products.
How Much Does Teeth Whitening Cost?
Teeth whitening options can cost as little as $5 to hundreds of dollars, with varying results. Daily routine products such as whitening toothpastes and mouthwashes average $5-7, while Crest Whitestrips average about $50 but can produce professional-level results.
Where Can I Buy Whitening Kits?
You can buy teeth whitening kits in grocery stores, drug stores, or online. If you're deciding between two types of kits, try one first and then try another if you aren't satisfied with the results. For example, if you have teeth sensitive to whitening, choose from the teeth whitening kits with lower concentrations of whitening product. If you aren't getting the results you want, and you don't notice a problem with tooth sensitivity, try one of the teeth whitening kits with a slightly higher concentration of whitening product.
A healthy, beautiful smile and whiter teeth can lead to a boost in self-confidence and even a younger appearance.
*with daily use. Stain assessed 4 weeks after dental cleaning.
Discover MoreCrest Whitestrips Instructions: Safe & Easy Teeth Whitening